Wednesday 6 February 2013

Comment reply.



Comment reply

Written for the Blog by a Preston resident.


Reply to comments

Written for the Blog by a Preston resident.

Steve D.

If what I’m saying isn’t true Steve, I also hope someone will challenge it, the problem with that is…it is true. It’s not really a question of being fooled after all most people are out at work or bringing up families and generally leading busy life styles that usually requires their full attention and commitment.  Younger people are out with their friends or communicating with social media sites and are just as busy but in a different way.

The core councillors that I refer to have taken complete advantage of the busy lives of residents and used it to their own advantage. The few people who have attempted to communicate with the council are generally ignored but if they dare to pass that post they are intimidated and bullied, in the expectation that they won’t trouble the council again.

I can give you an example, on 10th October 2012 I wrote to the council and requested information relating to the accounts of the Preston Playing Fields Charity (these are legally public documents), it is now 4 months later and there has been no sign of any acknowledgement or response. The council clearly wish to have no interference from a resident but when this kind of behaviour becomes the norm it does make you wonder what they are trying to hide! It’s abundantly clear that the council have no time for residents and wish to keep them in the dark as far and as long as possible…why? Again I will ask, what is the council trying to hide.

Under normal circumstances any mail received by the council during the month is read or given to the council or at least a synopsis of content is given for the benefit of any public attending the meeting. No such requests are ever mentioned during council meetings, the only people who are able to prevent that are the council leadership, Chairman and Vice. What do they have to hide?

The hands of new councillors are not by any means clean because they know of the difficulties with the ‘core councillors’ yet still take instruction from them and continue to follow their policy towards residents. It unfortunately suggests they do not have any idea of what to do and following the old crew at least lets them off the hook of having to come up with something. Would those councillors please resign and let us elect people who are able to act and come up with some ideas.

I reproduce the txt of the request below.

Dear Council

Re. Preston Playing Fields Charity

I would be grateful if you would forward to me information enabling me to access the above Charities accounts and, who should I contact with regard to obtaining copies of those accounts.

Regards

*** *****

Councillors are sole trustees on this charity as with the New Community Hall Charity, there is absolutely no flow of information from these councillor controlled bodies to residents, yet we paid to set them up councillors didn’t have to bear the cost. My request was made to the council, every councillor is a trustee on that charity yet they will not respond, not just to me...to anyone!

In the past I have written to the council for Charity information (remember all councillors are Trustees of the Charity) only to be told that they are unable to give any information because I have written to a councillor and must write to a trustee instead, but of course trustees are also councillors, I find the whole situation infantile and totally pointless, clearly frustrating and annoying, contrary to some councillors beliefs,it really isn't MI5!!

It has to be said that this is the charity a council member is currently using to promote a child play park near to her home, her occupation, a child minder! her address, close to the proposed play park? self interest? that just happens to be the history of Preston Parish Council, and it appears new councillors waste no time in learning those ropes so they can jump on the bandwagon! come up with anything for residents....they haven't a clue, total blanks!  If any family members have a business the council can be a source of income yet we are not allowed access to information, who prevents that access, councillors!

I am not at this point suggesting there is any thing untoward about such a cosy relationship that councillors appear to want to keep secret, I will return to this in the near future.

I do hope this goes some way to answering your comment Steve, thanks for reading.

Jennifer W. & Sheila M

You would both be very welcome, you are right in that we do need to join together to get rid of these councillors, to let these people continue to abuse residents as they have for so many years would be criminal but to get rid of them we need to act as a group.

I can assure you that if you chose to stand in any election we are very happy to work with you over a long period of time and cover the ins and outs of being a councillor, how the council works etc. It might be interesting to you to read our postings ‘Role of a council’ and ‘Role of a councillor’ from early January postings if you haven’t already done that. Before you stand you will be running at full speed and ready to play a full and active part in council without having to reply on the advice of current councillors.

If we support any councillor there will be a very obvious campaign to get them all elected throughout Preston and in the Press and against those councillors who to-date have proved themselves to be so ineffective. We will not be planning to lose!!!

Anonymous.

Hi anonymous, I believe I have answered you comment in recent posts in fact the post of yesterday ‘Council Achievements 1997 – 2011’ mentions what we consider to be a waste.

I hope that post answers your comment but if not do please get back to us and we shall endeavour to answer it fully.

Thanks for reading and for your comment.

15 comments:

  1. Where do I find a list of councillors, can you tell us whos on the council?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is it just the council on the charities?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you accusing the Child minder of cheating in some way?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. shock that it has been removed!!!!

      Delete
  5. Lena A resident of Preston7 February 2013 at 11:53

    KG the list of councillors is on the Hedon Blog on the left select Preston Parish :)

    I feel it disturbing that somebody feels the requirment to comment on a councillor in such an unrefined way. To be so bold as to suggest they are somehow cheating the system and then post as annonymous is just cowardly. What are the facts of any of these things happening exactly??? Perhaps if people collated the information they required containing ALL the facts first, they would not feel the need to be so Rude. I have lived in the village only a short time and already know of the hard work this particulor councillor does for the community, a Park for Preston would be wonderful for the children and at some point the people of preston voted in favour of it. Can i also point out that 19 people applied for a position on the council where only 10 seats where available, which states clearly that the councillors where voted on by You!
    I am not saying that everything is perfect, nothing ever is but i think people should look into things and talk to people in person before writing on a blog to insult somebody/people who obviously work very hard regardless of their own lives. Its nice to be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having read the above blog, disconcertedly I have to say, I feel there is a personal attack on one councilor inparticular which I am personally appauled at. As a regular visitor to Preston seeing family and friends I would welcome a park to the area! I have two children of my own who I know would benefit immensley from this proposal! As mentioned above the Councillor concerned maybe a childminder, but surely that helps build a case knowing there are plenty of children in the village who would be utilising this area? Parks are a great environment for everyone, whether it be for a chat with your friend, a meeting place, taking the children for a play, childminders encouraging development and play etc. I personally applaud this councellor and hope there are many others like me who want this just as much as them! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in full support of a park being installed in Preston.. I have supported the fund raising events that have been organised by Lyn Carmichael (Councillor/Trustee) and other Preston residents, I must say I am very Proud to be a part of this fund raising.How are the negative comments that have been made,helping Preston to be a better place.. May I ask what the writer of the negative comments is doing to help?? I hope this comment does not get deleted like a lot of the others made by residents..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there a reason why my positive post has been deleted?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The author of this blog criticised Preston Parish Council in an early blog for allowing the playing field to fall into direpair, going so far as to suggest the Council were intent on selling it for housing development. How then can this individual criticise them for taking action to ensure it is a safe and pleasant space for all Preston residents.

    I suggest you raise your concerns through the correct channels rather than being disrespectful to those who give their time to improve our community. The ballot box is the place to demonstrate your dissatisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the comments from this contributor uninformed one sided and rambling, maybe its you who should get to know the facts before spouting off. There are a lot of residents who support this blog and the person posting most of them, if we had him as a councillor it might just be the village gets something done in a more professional manner instead of the bits and pieces that an individual councillor comes up with.
      Don’t get me wrong I support your play park and have contributed to your fund raising but your view isn’t the only one that exists so if you want to reach any sort of agreement or compromise I would talk to him and thrash out your opinions in a civilized manner. If you continue to just slag him off you may not be viewed as reasonable people and that might cost you support.
      I have experience in dealing with him and have always found him to be receptive and willing to consider any opposing views to his. Have you tried talking to him instead of just slagging him off without good cause? What I can tell you about him is that he doesn’t respond very well to people who have a go at him without cause or brush him aside as someone not worth bothering with, how would most of us respond to that?
      I happen to believe he has very good reason to be annoyed with the council and some of those have tried to bully him, the rest have just ignored him and sided with the bullying lot hoping for a quiet life but there is your mistake, get some sense and talk to him. If you want some good advice treat him with a little respect and he’ll return it in bucket loads even if he still disagrees with you.
      As for you new councillors this is the bloke who had the guts to stick his neck out and start the campaign to get you elected, he’s the one who challenged the old lot who have done nothing for this village. He’s the one who started the leaflet campaign encouraging you lot to stand in the first place. If it wasn’t for him most new councillors wouldn’t be on the council because you wouldn’t have stuck your necks out in your own right, then when your elected you treat him like some sort of idiot, trust me he’s far from that. He’s already done more for this village than most, including new councillors, or for that matter old ones.
      Where is the council in all this sheltering in their bunkers no doubt! It’s the old lot that continue to organise falsehoods against him and I’m sorry but you new councillors should show a little more bottle and at least listen to him.
      I know the reason why he pulled out of that election campaign as most of you new councillors do, I suggest you think about that, did he treat you like idiots not worth bothering with? No he didn’t, he gave you a lot of respect and told you about a possible problem you might be walking into and forewarned you, he didn’t have to, you should be grateful to him but instead, once your councillors you turn your back and refuse to talk to him, thank god your not friends of mine!
      If I know him as I think I do he’ll fight you to the end and he’ll accept the consequences so if you new councillors at least don’t want to have to put up with him for the next 3 years I suggest you settle your differences with him, you’ll be doing all of us a favour.

      Delete

    2. Hi JD

      I probably need to declare an interest here because I think I know who sent it due to the content and initials.

      I also had to think about whether or not to publish it but, I said all comments would be published that weren’t abusive so there it is.

      I don’t think I should answer it in detail but I do appreciate the supporting comments. I don’t want this to get into a slanging match and at the end of the day, if there is to be resolution then we will need to be civil, I hope comments can achieve that.

      Thanks for reading JD and thanks for your comments

      Delete
  10. If I can say I think its worth mentioning that the person doing this blog probably prevented the village hall from being demolished because thats what the old council wanted to do, without him it probably wouldnt be there now and you could not have refurbished it. Hes done as much as anyone for this village in the short time hes been here, you shouldnt make him out to be a terrible person because hes not.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Amanda

    Thanks for your support but I think your probably being overly kind. I don't think I 'saved' the village hall as such but we (there were others, we often turned up with 20/30 people at council meetings, very often) made it impossible for the council to demolish it. If we hadn't got some new councillors on I'm sure your right it would have been gone now. That would have been a shame given its history, we might do a post on its history, just for you .

    Thanks for reading and for your support.

    ReplyDelete