Friday 8 February 2013

Comment reply, Carol Osgerby.




Reply to comment, Carol Osgerby.

Written for the Blog by a Preston resident.

Hi Carol

Thanks for your comment and my apologies for any delay in responding. Forgive me if I’m mistaken but I seem to recall you attending the Preston Community Hall AGM in early 2011, if I’m correct you may recall a number of residents requesting representation on the charity as trustees. The Chairman of the trustees promised they would make enquiries into that issue and get back to us, they never did. I also seem to recall you offered your good services and advice as you are or were involved with charities in some form or other, as I recall they never accepted that offer.

Charities I’m afraid is about my worst subject, not that any of them are particularly good. One of my main sources of information on the subject is the Charities Commission website and as a layperson I tend to accept that as authoritative.

I do agree that the trustees are required by law to put the interests of the charity first and foremost and I do consider it creates a conflict with their role as councillors. Although that situation may not be ideal it is entirely permissible and therefore we have to work within those issues.

I do not consider it honest for the council to blame some legal restriction as a reason for not being able to update residents at any time. During public participation the council is out of session and members could therefore update us as trustees and not councillors.

You say The Community Hall Charity does have resident trustees in responsible positions, I certainly wasn’t aware of that although I do know residents form part of the Community Hall management committee, and indeed I believe a resident is Chairman of that committee.

Could I ask how you consider your understanding fits in with or opposes the posting you responded to?

Our intention is certainly not to create additional difficulties it is simply to understand the various positions and have better communication between trustees and residents. What I find most disappointing is that lack of information and communication between the two, I would have thought, possibly mistakenly, that a good starting point would be to contact the trustees to seek clarification, unfortunately they never respond.

With this being our weakest subject any information or advice you are able to give would be very welcome indeed and most valued.

Again thanks for taking the time to read our blog and for your comment.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I was at the 2011 AGM, and yes, I did offer support. I attended several Community Hall committee meetings and did some work for them producing a redraft of the constitution which I felt would put them on a stronger footing. I also discovered a very complex situation regarding the lease of the hall, which appears to be vested in the Parish Council, and not the charity. They did not take my advice, and I have attended no further meetings.
    What exactly would you like to know? And when you say "our" - who are you referring to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Carol, I have answered it on the main page.

    ReplyDelete